Cyclone Nivar, which is brewing in the Bay of Bengal, is transferring towards the southern states and Union territory (UT) of Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu and Puducherry. Expected to make landfall on Wednesday, Nivar is more likely to trigger heavy rainfall in these locations.
However, it isn’t the primary major cyclone which may have hit a state this yr or in the final 12 months. Here are some major cyclones to have occurred in India since 2019:
1. Cyclone Amphan: India’s first major cyclone of 2020, Super Cyclonic Storm Amphan precipitated major harm in West Bengal, as effectively in the neighbouring nation of Bangladesh. Odisha, one other japanese state, was additionally hit by Amphan although it was spared the type of harm that the cyclone precipitated in West Bengal. Formed on May 16, Amphan dissipated on May 21, leaving widespread destruction in its path, claiming over 100 lives, most of which had been from West Bengal.
2. Cyclone Nisarga: Severe Cyclonic Storm Nisarga struck the Indian subcontinent inside simply two weeks of Amphan, most severely affecting India’s monetary hub of Maharashtra, the place all fatalities because of the cyclone-six-took place. The state of Gujarat and the UT of Dadra and Nagar Haveli and Daman and Diu (DNHDD) had been additionally placed on excessive alert although each escaped Nisarga’s wrath. Formed on June 1 and dissipated on June 4, Nisarga was the strongest tropical cyclone to strike Maharashtra since June 1891.
3. Cyclone Fani: Extremely Severe Cyclonic Storm Fani precipitated major harm in Odisha, being the strongest tropical cyclone to hit the state since 1999. Though Fani additionally affected different states like West Bengal and Andhra Pradesh, in addition to neighbouring nations like Bangladesh, Bhutan and Sri Lanka, it was Odisha that bore its brunt. Fani, which fashioned on April 26 April 2019 and dissipated on May 5, claimed 89 lives in all. Odisha was praised by the United Nations for its dealing with of the disaster.
4. Cyclone Bulbul: Another cyclone which affected each West Bengal and Bangladesh, Bulbul was a Very Severe Cyclonic Storm. A tropical cyclone, Bulbul started forming on November 5, 2019 and dissipated on November 11 and claimed a complete of 41 lives. Only the second to make it to class Three hurricane power, with the primary occasion being in 1960, Bulbul additionally affected neighbouring nations like Myanmar and Thailand, apart from Bangladesh.
5. Cyclone Vayu: Very Severe Cyclonic Storm Vayu was a robust tropical cyclone which claimed a complete of eight lives in June 2019. Vayu was the strongest cyclone to hit Gujarat’s Saurashtra area since 1998. It fashioned on June 10, 2019 and dissipated on June 17. Vayu, which was named by India after the Sanskrit and Hindi phrase ‘vayu’ or wind, impacted greater than 6.6 million individuals in the northwestern components of the nation.
6. Cyclone Maha: Extremely Severe Cyclonic Storm Maha primarily affected the states of Maharashtra, Gujarat and Kerala. Maha started as a melancholy, additional intensifying to develop into Cyclonic Storm, Very Severe Cyclonic Storm and, lastly, Extremely Severe Cyclonic Storm. Formed on October 30, 2019, Maha dissipated on November 7.